California Security Officers with Registrations (guard cards) must receive 40 hours of training as follows:
- 8 hours “Powers to Arrest” prior to an Officer standing post.
- 16 hours of training within 30 days of issuance of registration, 8 of which must consist of two four-hour courses from the mandatory modules and 8 of which must consist of elective courses.
- 16 hours of training within 6 months of issuance of registration, 8 of which must consist of the remaining two four- hour courses from the mandatory modules, and 8 of which must consist of elective courses.
This course module, titled “Driver Safety” complies with requirements of AB 2880 Bureau of Security & Investigative Services (BSIS) training directives as in compliance with Business and Professions Code Sections 7583.6 and 7583.7 and Title 16, Division 7, Article 9, Section 643 of the California Code of Regulations.
This course corresponds to module III.O of the BSIS Course Outline. This is an elective course under the Course Outline and satisfies the requirement for 4 hours of training under the elective section of the Security Officer Training Laws and Regulations.
III.O Driver Safety – 4 hours
Course Outline & Syllabus Learning Goals
- The officer will learn the differences between private operation of a motor vehicle and “on duty” use.
- The officer will learn how to prepare and inspect a vehicle prior to use.
- The officer will learn how to safely drive and exit a vehicle
- The officer will learn the basics of bicycle safety.
- The officer will learn the causes and ways to prevent common bicycle accidents.
- The officer will learn the basics of golf cart operations.
- The officer will learn the safety measures for replacing or recharging the battery for a golf cart.
A. Introduction to Driver Safety
B. Vehicle Safety
- Prepare Yourself
- Vehicle Checklist
- Exterior & Interior Inspection
- Driving a Vehicle on Duty
- Exiting the Vehicle
C. Bicycle Safety
- Bicycle Equipment
- Use of a Helmet
- Common Bicycle Collisions
- General Safety Tips
D. Golf Cart Safety
- Safety Checklist
- Operating the Cart
- Recharging the Battery